New temporary tank ...

As the title says! Just to show there is more than one way to house our discus!
Paul
International user

New temporary tank ...

Post by Paul » 22 Nov 2010, 11:26

I am planning on getting a new tank from Sue at Aquariums Ltd. Sue has been incredibly patient and understanding too so my sincere thanks to her, I promise we will get there (I think ...)

So I had emptied the display tank in my study, moved the plants to a temporary home and re-homed the fish into temporary homes too. The wilds are now in a tank on the system, where they will stay.

My master plan is (or was) to house my new altums in the new tank which will be planted.

Now the plants would have been fine for a few weeks in their temporary home, but as I haven't even ordered the tank yet it is going to be some months before I get it. On checking the plants I noticed that I was beginning to lose some of them, in fact a couple were in quite a bad way really. I had tried to increase the light over them but they were in such a small tank that it was difficult and also trying to dose ferts was not much fun either.

So I resurrected the old display tank as a temporary home for the plants and fish. The tank holds around 340 litres, is lit with 4 off 38W T8 tubes - I think 2 x plant gro and 2x 5600K. It is filtered by an eheim 2217 using sponges as media, the intake as is usual for me is covered with filter floss. Heated by an eheim 300W on an external controller. Lights are on a timer and run 12 hours. I dose a PMDD variant and still getting that in balance, I use easy carbo as my carbon source. Water change twice a week currently at 50%. Water is usual mix of RO + TMC salts with a conductivity of 130 microsiemnes.

The plants are recovering, though some of the swords and fern still show some damage, there is also a touch of brown algae but that will pass. I have E.Bleheri, E.rubins, E.tenellus, myriophyllum mattogrossense, didiplis dandra, Microsorum pteropus, Taxiphyllum barbieri and Anubias barteri var. nana. The myriophyllum mattogrossense, and e.tenellus are new (last week) the rest are rescued. I think once it starts to grow in it will be ok, but not too bad for a rush job.

Hardscape is a 3'6" driftwood, the driftwood under the moss and fern and three rocks from the garden. Substrate is pool sand and I use root tabs. I have a cheap tacky polystyrene background (which I hate) but it works.

Anyway enjoy a few pics, taken without flash. No adjustments, just cropped for size and composition.

Comfortably numb

Tommy
NDS Member
NDS Member

Re: New temporary tank ...

Post by Tommy » 22 Nov 2010, 13:31

Wow wow wow very nice altum you have ther, i just want them all. :heart5:
:guru: :guru: :guru:

kaj.p
.Admin.
.Admin.

Post by kaj.p » 22 Nov 2010, 14:23

Looks nice Paul. And keep up the good work. I think your altum handle the trip back home to england well i just agreet that i dident bought any for myself. :sad: But maybe i will go to germany in a close future again. :wink:

Paul
International user

Post by Paul » 22 Nov 2010, 16:22

Tommy wrote:Wow wow wow very nice altum you have ther, i just want them all. :heart5:
Glad you like the Tommy, they are one of my favourite fish :heart1:
Comfortably numb

Paul
International user

Post by Paul » 22 Nov 2010, 16:24

kaj.p wrote:Looks nice Paul. And keep up the good work. I think your altum handle the trip back home to england well i just agreet that i dident bought any for myself. :sad: But maybe i will go to germany in a close future again. :wink:
Thanks Kaj, yes they made the trip no problem, even with the ferry being delayed some hours! They are settling very nicely in their new temporary home. I believe Hustinx still has some :wink:
Comfortably numb

tonysdiskus

Post by tonysdiskus » 22 Nov 2010, 18:47

I couldnt see the pics at my work to day,,,they have a filter at siemens server,,,,but now i can see them,,,woow Paul ,,,really ,,really nice tanks fishes !!
http://www.tonysdiskus.se" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.forum.tonysdiskus.se/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/tonysdiskus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mob 0707-804024

Paul
International user

Post by Paul » 22 Nov 2010, 20:46

tonysdiskus wrote:I couldnt see the pics at my work to day,,,they have a filter at siemens server,,,,but now i can see them,,,woow Paul ,,,really ,,really nice tanks fishes !!
Thanks Tony, I do like them :tumme2:
Comfortably numb

tofomi

Post by tofomi » 22 Nov 2010, 20:48

:tumme2:
I dont know,,,,,,vete faan alls.

Andreas Keller
NDS Member
NDS Member

Post by Andreas Keller » 22 Nov 2010, 20:50

Very nice pictures and a nice tank as well!
Ebishop - allt för räkor

www.kellers.nu www.ndss.se
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

Dizkuz

Post by Dizkuz » 22 Nov 2010, 20:51

Looks like you are on top of things again with the plants and algae (Hate the BDA algae OR newbornplantedaquariumsyndrom LOL) ... I'm so in jealous of your Altums.... :heart5:
Drip drop droool :dregel:

Looking forward to see the end of this project, if there is any :hug1:
No end to Karma, so we should be very careful about our actions
Poff!

Return to “Planted & Display Tanks”