The interview of Wayne NG, Wayne Discus Center

Here will we post Interviews with breeders and hobbyist from around the world.
Dizkuz

The interview of Wayne NG, Wayne Discus Center

Post by Dizkuz » 01 Sep 2008, 11:02

1) Who are Wayne NG as a person and tell us a bit about your company

When he was still a young boy, Wayne began breeding of all types of tropical fish. In 1988, it was a right time for him to start “Wayne Discus Centre” and, thereby formally launch his life's work. That was over 20 years ago. His passion to Discus has continued over the years and keeps getting deeper and stronger. Since then he has developed many award-winning Discus. He is now one of the leading Discus breeders in the world.

Our company was set up in 1988 and mainly in breeding high quality champion discus. We also have various kinds of tropical fish, gold fish and arowana. Nowadays we started to distribute aquarium accessories.
IMG_3129.JPG

2) When did you first get involved in Discus? Any memories you want to share?

I started to keep discus at my fourteen. I have saved the pocket money for one month and brought few pieces of small discus. It was not succeed for sure because i do not have any experience and it is not easy to get the information for keeping discus at that moment.
S_3R2.jpg
3) Do you have any other hobbies besides fish Keeping?

I am also interest in dogs, birds…..all about animals. I like travel around the world to see new things, other cultures, different life style and meet friends.

4) What other fish do you keep?

I like all kinds of fish. Besides of the Red Crystal Shrimps, I do not keep any fish at the moment as I do not have time.

5) What is your favorite of all fish that you had/have ?

I like high quality discus. In my blue strains collection I like Blue Knight because the body shape is high and the size can growth up to 25cm. In red strains I like spotted pattern i.e. Spotted Eruption and Shooting Star. I have been exported these two kinds of Discus to many different countries and they also got the Champion. i.e. France, Italy, Japan and Thailand etc.,
S_Sunrise_Eruption.jpg
6) When you choose fish to breed is it anything special that you are looking for?

A Discus posses very good genes and modify are also the main elements for making a nice and new kind of Discus. Therefore I need to go to many different countries to search what the breeder have and understand their crossing condition. After I got the potential Discus I will concentrate for few years to cross and pure their genes. I concern the body shape and size very much.
DSC03254.JPG
7) What do you feed your discus and how often?

We use the frozen blood worms as well as hamburger to feed our Discus. The ingredients of our hamburger are 70% of shrimp and 30% of beef/beef heart. We feed them depending on their condition, size and how many pieces in a tank etc.,From two to ten times no fixed time table.
S_Maze.jpg
8) To have health big fish you need to clean the tank, change wter etc. What are your routine and your advise to hobby discus keepers who purchase fish from you, how should they keep their fish healthy & fast growing

Our habit is feed the fish, change the water then. We need to change the water everyday even we have a filter system and clean the tank when they are dirty or let say at least twice in a week. For the above two topics you have to work depends on how many fish in a tank, how do you feed them, how many meals in a day, what kind of food you offer etc.,?
S_Super_Angle's_Diamond.jpg
9) Filtration preferences..what do you use?

We use centralize system as well as the sponge filter for every tank Air stone also needed.
DSC03253.JPG
10) I would like to ask you to describe your quarantine procedures in detail.so that more members can benefit from your experience.

Quarantine procedure is very simple, no need to use so many medicine and appliances. What you need to do is preparing a tank of stored tape water for keeping at least one or few days, set the PH to 6.5 to 6.8, temperature around 28 degree Celsius. When you are going to put the Discus into the tank and let them clam down in the new environment don’t feed for one day or few more days. Do not put the fish together for quarantine if it is brought from a different farm, different shop...Most important point is separate for at least one month. Discus is easy to get cross infection from different bacteria.

11) We all have our own ethics when it comes to medication use... can you elaborate on your views?

The best way is of course do not use so many medicine. We suggested every discus keeper to have some “sea salt” at home for emergency. When they feel sick the first step you need to do is putting some sea salt inside the tank. The usage is 50 gallon of water to 1 kg of sea salt. If you are not sure whether it’s sick or for prevention purpose, just reduces half kg of salt to 50gl of water. Do not use in conjunction with other medicine. It is a safe and effective treatment.

12) Do you have any advice for hobbyists looking to buy discus? what should they look for?

Points to check whether they have small eyes, it shows balance when they swim, hi fin hi body, look active in the tank especially when they feel people get close to the tank. No hormone.

13) When you look at a fish what do you like to see, which are the criteria you use in making the selection of the discus for breeding?

Selection of discus for breeding I like to choose according to the following points in order i.e. pattern, body size, body shape, eye color and their gense.

14) What would you like to personally accomplish? In the discus hobby.

We do not understand this question. Sorry!

15) Do you see any negative aspects to the Discus Hobby these days?

Mostly they only concern the price but not quality even hormone fish. At the very beginning I do suggest the hobbyist buy the low price fish as start. Step by step and buy the quality fish if they gain more experience.

16) What kind of strains do you company work on.

I always breed different kind of Discus in my favor and depending on the market/countries that I will export. We now work on Super Blue Angel , Red Pupil Spotted White and Blue Knight etc.,
S_red_pupil_spotted_pink.jpg
17) do you have any experience on bulldog strain, if you do, do they breed true in shape, 100% bulldogs? anything ells you will teach us about bulldogs

Since Bulldog is not comes from my strains. I do not know that much about this.
We have the similar one called “Blue Knight”, their body size is the biggest in my farm. The forehead is straight, lines on the body when they are small. Their color will be getting full when they growth up but mature late and It takes around two years.
S_blue_knight.jpg
18) anything new strain you are working now days, any new release?

I am now making the Red Pupil Strains. It is a very special kind of Discus with Hi Fin Hi Body. I called Red Pupil Spotted Pink and Shooting Star new breed.

19) what is your way to make discus bigger and average size ?

Normally my discus able to growth up to 25cm if you are able to take care them well. Always focus on the water condition, feed them on a regular basis, change the water according to how they polluted, how to feed discus, the way of making discus food etc. , The first step I will select the Discus based on their genetic. Then it takes me many years to research and improve their genes.

20) Have you had any mentors in this hobby, that you want give creds to?

I have learnt form my interest, feelings and intuition and maybe it’s a kind of talent comes from inherent. I also like visit many different countries to see their fish farm, public aquarium, talk with different breeders etc. learn from the experienced breeders whenever their discus is good or not. You must be able to learn something from them.

21) Any last word or advice to our member here at DFS

Go to a reliable and reputed shop to buy Discus. Do not buy the hormone fish as the color would not last for long and hard to growth up because of the medicine effect. Always pay attention to Discus conditions, try to find out the problem if it is abnormal i.e. check the water PH, temperature, discus food etc.,
Remember it is no fixed rules for keeping Discus, please treat everything flexible and contribute more time, success is close to you. Noting great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
S_Super_Blue_Angel.jpg
Thank You Wayne for taking your time for this interview and time for the DFS members....
To see more of wayne work, please visit his website at: http://www.waynediscus.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No end to Karma, so we should be very careful about our actions
Poff!

Poddan

Re: The interview of Wayne NG of Wayne Discus Center

Post by Poddan » 04 Sep 2008, 09:13

Great work Wayne and Daniel :tumme2:
:-)
[ http://www.ndss.se" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ] [ http://www.l-mal.se" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ] [ http://www.heckel.se" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ]

Robban_P

Post by Robban_P » 04 Sep 2008, 09:29

Kanon jobb :tumme2: :tumme2: :tumme2:

Fanbyalperna

Post by Fanbyalperna » 04 Sep 2008, 11:10

I agree with them above. Very interesting article.
Hälsningar/Regards
Christer

lilljotte

Post by lilljotte » 04 Sep 2008, 11:14

Robban_P wrote:Kanon jobb :tumme2: :tumme2: :tumme2:
Translation Great work :wink:
Akvarieleasing Stockholms bästa butik

Robban_P

Re: The interview of Wayne NG, Wayne Discus Center

Post by Robban_P » 04 Sep 2008, 11:37

Ooooops :blush3: :blush3: :blush3:
Sorry.

Thanks Lilljotte :hello2:

seanyuki
International user

Post by seanyuki » 02 Dec 2008, 07:05

Hi Danne,

Did you go to Hong Kong & interview Mr.Wayne Ng also got a lot of discus from his hatchery.
Always enjoy learning from Grand Champion Breeders.

Cheers
Francis :tumme2:

Dizkuz

Post by Dizkuz » 02 Dec 2008, 12:55

seanyuki wrote:Hi Danne,

Did you go to Hong Kong & interview Mr.Wayne Ng also got a lot of discus from his hatchery.
Always enjoy learning from Grand Champion Breeders.

Cheers
Francis :tumme2:
Hi there Francis :wink1:
Long time no seen my friend :hug1:

The interview is made throw Internet, i wish i had the money and the time to travel around when i do the interviews but its not possible for me to do that, and if i would have the chance it would look different i can promise you. i have played with the thought about that already.

Hows your youngster coming along?
Don't be a stranger here and please treat us with a update on your well growing collection.
Brgds Danne
Poff!

Dizkuz

Post by Dizkuz » 23 Jun 2009, 20:13

Poff!

bucket

Post by bucket » 24 Jun 2009, 15:42

My god those spotted are beautiful :heart5: