Jörg Stendker interview

Here will we post Interviews with breeders and hobbyist from around the world.
Dizkuz

Jörg Stendker interview

Post by Dizkuz » 22 Feb 2008, 21:10

Jörg Stendkers interview

Hello Mr Aberg
i'm very busy at he moment because the hatchery is running find an so excuse my more or less short answers.

1)I'd like to thank you for taking the time to participate here in our
interview on Diskusforum.se. Maybe we should start with a little
background on you.. who are Jörg stendker?

- Well, I'm a pisciculturist since i can think.

2)When did you first get involved in Discus? Any memories you want to
share?

- Basically, discus fish are part of my hole life. The first thing i can rember is when I was six or seven years old I started to help my father with the discus breeding and I saw for the first time how the babyfish eats the skin from their parents. So, as you can see, I'm in contact with discus for over 35 years now.

3)Do you have any other hobbies besides fish Keeping?
- Yes, I actally have some other hobbies beside the fish keeping. I like sailing a lot, as well as dancing and other sports like tennis for example.

4)You have been working with same line of fish for many years, do you
>have any breeding program for any new creations?

- We try to create new strains for more than 20 years now. Sometimes it works, like with the Pigeon Blood Snake or the Solid Snakeskin, which are both extremely beautiful in my opinion, but of course many many times it doesn't work. It's not that easy if you only work with your own strains.

5) How many Discus can your facility hold, and how many discus do you
produce in a year?

- We have 200.000 pieces in stock and in the last year we produced about 400.000 fish.

6) There are many people that use your CB mix here in Sweden, i guess
you cant give of all information on the ingredient, but maybe tell us
a little bit about it?

- It basically consists of beefheart, paprica, pouder sweet, Zyclops, vitamins and calcium.

7) What do you feed your discus and how often?
- We feed our fish three times a day with our own beefheart mix.

9) Filtration preferences..what do you use?
- For filtration we use simple sponges an a little bit of UV-light.

10) I would like to ask you to describe your quarantine procedures in
detail..so that more members can benefit from your experience.

- We are very careful because of the discus disease, so when we buy fish we put them in a seperate room, let the grow up an breed some babies. After one and a half year without any problems with illnesses we put this fish in a tank with some of our other fishes. And if none of the fish has any problems we put them in one of our 5 big fish halls.

11) We all have our own ethics when it comes to medication use.. can
you elaborate on your views?

- I don't really like pharmaceuticals. When the fish has a problem i always try to encourage its immune system. I change the water and use activated carbon to get all the bad things out of the water. I also enhance the temprature up to 33°C for ten days and feed the fish a lot.
Most times these simple things help best. We haven't use any pharmaceuticals in our 2000 tanks for more than four years now.

12) Do you have any advice for hobbyists looking to buy discus? what
should they look for?

- Small eyes, good round shape, good eating, good gills (no black). You should check that 2 or 3 times. Buy a lot of discus, later you can sell some if you don't want them anymore. That's important because if you loose some you have enough of them and don't have to buy other fish from other fish breeders. If you do all that you will have a lot of fun with the fish for many years.

13) When you look at a fish what do you like to see?
- I like to see hungry fish with small eyes and great coulors!

14) Any advice to grow bigger discus for the hobbyist (Jumbo)?
- That is easy: No3 maximum 50 mg (a lot of water change), 20 times feeding each day, temperature 30°C - 31°C and good food (beefheart mix).

15) Do you see any negative aspects to the Discus Hobby these days?

- Too many people loose their discus because of the discus disease.

16) Have you had any mentors in this hobby, that you want to give
> credit to?

- Sorry, no mentors...

Thank you Jörg for being here today to answer the questions and thanks for time you spend to Hobby and for the discus world

Diskuszucht Stendker GmbH & CoKG
Am Holzbach 18
48231 Warendorf
No end to Karma, so we should be very careful about our actions
Poff!

Return to “Interviews”