A Blue Pair, What to do?

Questions, comments, and experiences about wild strains.
gep

Re: A Blue Pair, What to do?

Post by gep » 25 Dec 2008, 00:16

This is truly a nice sight, a big gratulations from me, and keep up the superb work! :2tubsup: :2tubsup: :2tubsup: :2tubsup: :2tubsup: :2tubsup: :2tubsup: :2tubsup: :2tubsup: :2tubsup:

Olorin

Post by Olorin » 25 Dec 2008, 10:14

Dan S wrote:Hello,

The second pair, now thier behaviour has been very strange today, they have definately lost some wrigglers but this is not suprising as they share one third of the tank with 10 other hungry fish plus Cardinals. But whats strange they have been racing across to the other pair and attacking them, Im not quite sure what they are trying to achieve with that?

Dan
I am new to this myself, but all my other cichlids including diskus get aggressive to their own species when the spawn. They try to chase them away, which is of course impossible in a tank. So I think that is a good sign. Very nice fishes by the way. Are they wild caught?

bucket

Post by bucket » 12 Jan 2009, 20:43

Hello Dan.

How did it go?

We want to see more pictures of your beautiful wilds :heart5:

Cheers, Bucket

Dan S
International user

Post by Dan S » 18 Jan 2009, 04:05

Hello Gep, thanks for the kind comments.

Hello Olorin, again, thanks for the comments, yes they are Wild. And i agree with your comments about the aggression.

Hello Bucket, One pair is with eggs at the moment and the other pair has wrigglers, sorry no pics i had to lend my camera to someone and I dont get it back till next week.

Im really surprised they have kept laying, there has been allsorts of disturbance since Xmas, Ive had electricians and builders doing work on the house, the power went of for a whole day and I thought the filter would cause water problems but they have carried on regardless.

6 of the group are now up for sale, my new tank arrives in 5 weeks (should have been here sooner but they have made a mistake with it) so 6 fish which will include the 2 pairs are going into the new tank, its 490litres and will have removeable dividers, so hopefully I will have abit more success with getting fry to a larger size. This is also great as this frees up my big tank and I put an order in today for some Heckels which Im very excited about, so they will be here in about 5 weeks aswell.

Dan.
http://www.youtube.com/user/dans2727" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan S
International user

Post by Dan S » 25 Jan 2009, 23:10

Hello,

A third pair laid eggs today. I now have 2 pairs with eggs and the original pair with freeswimming fry at the moment. Its crazy!!!! I cant wait till the new tank comes so I can get them seperated, Im longing to see if I can get some fry to grow to 2" or 3" long (I will have to sell them at that stage not enough space for more adults).

Dan
http://www.youtube.com/user/dans2727" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Heiko Bleher
International user

Post by Heiko Bleher » 03 Feb 2009, 19:19

Hi,

this is Heiko and I just wanted to tell you: This is exactly what is happening in nature at this time of the year. As you have given them the right biotope (similar to nature), probably the water parameters similar and good food, that is all it needs...

It is in their gen, and wild are really easy discus, if taken proper care and came from a good source.

That is it.

Always
Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com

Dan S
International user

Post by Dan S » 06 Feb 2009, 01:16

Hello,

Thank you for your comments Heiko, I always appreciate them.

A quick update and some pics.

Pair 1 (in the pics) has about 50 fry left and they are about 7 days free swimming now. I say about, as I didnt take any notice of when they laid and hatched because last Sunday I had to remove 8 of the fish which where for sale which ment emptying the tank of wood and generally causing chaos but these survived and seem to be doing well.

Pair 2 laid eggs 2 hours after I had taken the tank apart and now have wrigglers so I hope these might last abit longer aswell.

There are 2 other fish in the tank which Im hoping may also form a pair. Ive also removed the Cardinals as they where very effecient at taking out the fry once freeswimming.

Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

klys

Post by klys » 06 Feb 2009, 07:48

Really nice pics Dan! Lovely fish :heart5:
Bara för att jag inte bryr mig behöver inte betyda att jag inte förstår.

bucket

Post by bucket » 06 Feb 2009, 13:22

I agree with Marius (klys)

Absolutley stunning :heart5:

Robban_P

Post by Robban_P » 06 Feb 2009, 13:27

:heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5: :heart5:

Return to “Wild Discus”