Artificial raising

Tips, tricks, and questions about breeding discus.
Matte_g

Artificial raising

Post by Matte_g » 09 Dec 2007, 01:53

Hi

Do Any of you international guys have any experiences with artificial breeding of discus..
If so pleas give some pointers and tips!!

Personally i like to see my discus taking care of the frys, but we have the same question in the Swedish.

//Matte

tonysdiskus

Re: Artificial breeding.

Post by tonysdiskus » 09 Dec 2007, 14:11

Hello friends !!

Here i got some old pics from that periode i tried and learned about artificiell breeding.
Here you got 3 pics from 3 different steps in the breeding process.

The first they have just been fri swimming.
The second i think 5-8 hour later
The last pics is when they have found the food att the walls in the bucket.

http://www.tonysdiskus.se" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.forum.tonysdiskus.se/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/tonysdiskus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mob 0707-804024

bucket

Post by bucket » 09 Dec 2007, 14:32

Tony wrote:Hello friends !!

Here i got some old pics from that periode i tried and learned about artificiell breeding.
Here you got 3 pics from 3 different steps in the breeding process.

The firt they have just been fri swimming.
The second i think 5-8 hour later
The last pics is when they have found the food att the walls in the bucket.
What do you feed them with? :confus1:

tonysdiskus

Post by tonysdiskus » 09 Dec 2007, 20:23

If you check upp the waterline so maby can you see a little bit yellow field.Its egg yolk that i have put one and dried before i higher upp the waterline.
http://www.tonysdiskus.se" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.forum.tonysdiskus.se/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/tonysdiskus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mob 0707-804024

bucket

Post by bucket » 09 Dec 2007, 21:16

Tony wrote:If you check upp the waterline so maby can you see a little bit yellow field.Its egg yolk that i have put one and dried before i higher upp the waterline.

Ahaa.. Clever.

maybe ill try sometime.

i have 2 discus who has breeded in the planted tank.. they have made it to swimming but then they are gone next day.

so if thew breed again maybe ill test taking the "babys" away just when they are about to start swimming.

Dad is a Red Alanquer and Mom is a Red Turqoise.

stanchung
International user

Post by stanchung » 10 Dec 2007, 11:02

Matte, I think you mean artificial raising. Haven't tried it yet because I've not gone commercial!
The method descirbed by Tony sounds cool.
stan
http://www.discus.com.my > timbalan administrasi dxk :D

reptar
International user

Post by reptar » 10 Dec 2007, 20:55

stanchung wrote:Matte, I think you mean artificial raising. Haven't tried it yet because I've not gone commercial!
What Stan mentioned is right, he is a hobbyist just like myself and If you cannot breed the fish and raise them by the parents -- you have to try and retry, change the water chemistry and you will hit the jackpot one of these days and make sure that the male is fertile.
Water chemistry for different strains may not all be the same, just trial and error.
Artificial raising is too much work and the quality won't be the same as raised by the parents.
Mario

:dontknow: :dontknow:

yoyo

Post by yoyo » 10 Dec 2007, 21:08

reptar wrote:
stanchung wrote:Matte, I think you mean artificial raising. Haven't tried it yet because I've not gone commercial!
What Stan mentioned is right, he is a hobbyist just like myself and If you cannot breed the fish and raise them by the parents -- you have to try and retry, change the water chemistry and you will hit the jackpot one of these days and make sure that the male is fertile.
Water chemistry for different strains may not all be the same, just trial and error.
Artificial raising is too much work and the quality won't be the same as raised by the parents.
Mario

The quality will be better because the parents can give the small ones parasits or some siknes when they go togheter in one tank.In a tank whitout parents the small ones cant be infected.

Dizkuz

Post by Dizkuz » 10 Dec 2007, 21:45

yoyo wrote:
reptar wrote:
Mario

The quality will be better because the parents can give the small ones parasits or some siknes when they go togheter in one tank.In a tank whitout parents the small ones cant be infected.
As a breeder u will give your pair a cleaning program before breeding and breed on sick discus will be a bad start i guess :host:
I thought the biggest problem with lost of fries would be bacteria and it will always be present in the water more or less,and the hygiene and your WC will be a factor to this, so this will not be a prob to blame the pair .
And the fact that the mucus will give fries a protection the first time in life is something that not will be forgotten.

So what is the best way?
Its up to the breeder in the end how to prepare and to take care of the fries
Artificail or not..

just my 2 cent as a hobbyist :guru:
No end to Karma, so we should be very careful about our actions
Poff!

stanchung
International user

Post by stanchung » 11 Dec 2007, 01:51

Yes, I agree with Danne that parents have to have good start and flushed from their system as much parasite/pathogens as possible!

Agree with Mario artificial raising looks like quite a bit of work. I've seen this done in a farm owned by the late Pak Hadi in Indonesia. A very nice man. He showed me lots of white glazed metal bowls of fry in antibiotic solution and some yolk smeared on sides. He says he puts the antibiotic because he has little time to change water. He looked to be successful in his program so I say it's doable and so parents can get to next XXX session ASAP!

However there could be benefits to let parents care for them such as 'mother's milk'? haha. As such some breeders use foster parents to enable them care for the young. They use older, good temperament pairs. I saw in China the process how one very experienced breeder could produce a lot of fry very quickly this way. It was very interesting to see how the foster parents never stop. As soon as the 1cm juvies are taken away from them, new free swimming fry are put in for them. They get so worked up when their 'kids' are taken away but calm down immediately when the new fry are put in!

My conclusion is that whatever works for you! Grandmaster Jack Wattley wrote that most people who oppose artificial rasing have not tried it! True? :guru:
stan
http://www.discus.com.my > timbalan administrasi dxk :D

Return to “Breeding Discus”