How often? :D

Topics dealing with discus diet.
Matte_g

How often? :D

Post by Matte_g » 30 Nov 2007, 00:08

Hi

One easy questions, but very important! for our friends around the world!!

What do you feed your discus and how often?

Alex

Re: How often? :D

Post by Alex » 30 Nov 2007, 09:35

It feels like my discus won´t get enough food, but it doesn´t matter, because you can feed them each minute in a whole day and they wont get full! :)

I give my own discus juveniles dry food (tetra discus) 8 times a day with an automatic feeder, and afterwards i feed them with beefheartmix.

So propably 9-12 times a day to the juviniles and 2-3 times to the adults.
/Alexander Ylipää

stanchung
International user

Post by stanchung » 07 Dec 2007, 00:23

As many times as I can change water!
stan
http://www.discus.com.my > timbalan administrasi dxk :D

reptar
International user

Post by reptar » 08 Dec 2007, 20:44

I do feed the adults about 2 to 4 times per day and the grow out ones' about 6 times per day, I'm using Siporax as a filter media and they do have a large surface area, trickle system filter for aerobic and pressurized for anaerobic -- water change approx. 20 to 30% every two days.
I have been doing that for a lot of years and all my tanks are centralized.
Mario

:) :) :)

Matte_g

Post by Matte_g » 09 Dec 2007, 00:03

reptar wrote:I do feed the adults about 2 to 4 times per day and the grow out ones' about 6 times per day, I'm using Siporax as a filter media and they do have a large surface area, trickle system filter for aerobic and pressurized for anaerobic -- water change approx. 20 to 30% every two days.
I have been doing that for a lot of years and all my tanks are centralized.
Mario

:) :) :)

Hi

I have heard about your filtration system :guld: !!
Can you Share some pictures on the system??

nicholas
International user

Post by nicholas » 14 Jan 2008, 09:16

Hi Everyone,
Here's my take on your question, mattias :)

I feed my fishes with porkheart and mixed them with essential nutrients such as multivits, ginseng tablets for detox, vit B complex...etc. Used to mixed with tetrabits too..but i have stopped. I feel that with what i have added into my porkheart is good enough for my fishes to obtain good shape & size, as well as to enhance their health condition. I would discourage hobbyists/breeders to use harmful color enhancers as it would retard the growth of discus, not to mentioned putting their health at risk. Infact, they would stop growing if you feed them consistent. And i do noticed that discus which are juiced with carophyll pink OR cr6 tend to be slow growers.

As for frequency of water change, I only change 100% once. Feeding frequency would be once in the morning and another feeding in the noon (occasionally i would feed them bloodworms or brineshrimp as a treat during night time). The amount of porkheart fed to the fishes in the morning is jus enough for them to finish, and when noon or lunch comes, i feed them with more porkheart. I will carry out 100% water changes when they stop eating.

Cheers! :)

stanchung
International user

Post by stanchung » 14 Jan 2008, 12:03

Lol, Nick, you talking from experience or observation? :stick: :stick: :stick:

I believe you are right but I also think hobbyists should know certain things that are unsaid in many non-Asian forums but are openly discussed at DCS. Andrew and Colin at DCS are amazing to be able to talk about it openly. Using a little is ok. [IMO Don't overdo it... like alcohol. :santagrin: ]

I've used C pink in minute amounts and only once a day 3 times a week for two weeks. I get good results without harming the fish. They lay eggs, they breed. Take it slow and you'll be rewarded with good natural looking colours. Some fishes need maintenance with once a month or so to maintain the colour.

Most sellers and breeders are hypocritical and full of BS that they claim this and that.
Those who sell spotted fishes and claim to not use enhancers are IMO FOS. [full of $XXX] :tumbdown:
The problem always happen when the fish is stressed, arrive 24-36 hours later at the buyer's place half dead/dead. The finger pointing starts and then all the contributing factors are added up. The buyer then accuses the seller of over-enhancing with the objective of getting his money back.
The seller refuses to refund because he claims the buyer is incompetent of QT or whatever reason. Ends up a big mess as the other competitors uses opportunity to smear and add fuel to the fire in the forums.

So are we open enough to about it here? :dontknow:

Anybody wanna start?
stan
http://www.discus.com.my > timbalan administrasi dxk :D

Dizkuz

Post by Dizkuz » 14 Jan 2008, 19:09

I guess u are right there Stan about some breeder / brookers that have dune this, i mean, how many times have we seen a 3-+ inch fish that almost show full coloration/spotts and the colors are to damn bright, makes us wonder :confus1: or? i mean that Many Buyer's also know what a 3-+ inch fish should look natural, right? no wonder its get dirty some time when death happen
But i guess many seller dont care as long the fish dont drop dead at there store, then they care, and many buyer will buy the colorful fish before the "doll brown one with out spotts" anytime of the week. all people that buy discus are not freaks as we are and dont know the different as we do, because freaks we are u cant deny it :garv:

How about all competition that takes placed, are the best placed fishes colorfeed? i guess they are , but the question are with what? Are they juiced up discus on hormones? only the breeder know the true. :dontknow:

Or are they just feed on carophyll pink/yellow or cr6 and this color ain't hormones, right? but what is in it that harms the discus then?
I never tried this products, so when is it to much of use/dose to harm a discus? i mean when a discus has stop growing its have been to much for a long time i guess, :blush3:
And the fishes that have been sold as fullspotted or to bright in color at 3 -+ inch, i would guess that astaxathin and spirulina dont cute it ...

So i think both breeder/brooker and importer "know" that colorfeed is going on but as long the buyer want colorful discus and they sell good, it will continue.
As long they dont drop dead in the stores, Then we have the finger pointing again i quess.
"I want a full spotted fish that are not color feed" how will a breeder/brooker deliver that at 3 inch? :garv: not a easy task

But how to See the different in hormones or carophyll pink/yellow or cr6, :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:
Anyone know?

Better stop now, start to get a bit long post here.
No end to Karma, so we should be very careful about our actions
Poff!

Matte_g

Post by Matte_g » 15 Jan 2008, 18:13

But how to See the different in hormones or carophyll pink/yellow or cr6, :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:
Anyone know?

Very good question Danne!
Any one how can tell us how to see the difference??

Return to “Foods and Nutrition”