Heat!!

Disease diagnosis/treatment and information on medications.
Matte_g

Heat!!

Post by Matte_g » 07 Dec 2007, 07:42

What do you guys think of heat treatments on discus?
35c° or 95F°

Tommy
NDS Member
NDS Member

Re: Heat!!

Post by Tommy » 07 Dec 2007, 10:44

Om man har en fisk som inte äter, så tycker jag att det kan vara bra att höja tempen till 35 grader för att få igång fisken. Men jag tror ej att det botar fisken för alltid.
:guru: :guru: :guru:

Robban_P

Post by Robban_P » 07 Dec 2007, 11:01

In english please

mandisc
International user

Post by mandisc » 07 Dec 2007, 13:31

matte g,
i think 32 deg cel will be good enough for treatment. 35deg i think way too high. :hex1:
best regards , mandisc
discus home breeding hobbyist

bucket

Post by bucket » 07 Dec 2007, 13:46

mandisc wrote:matte g,
i think 32 deg cel will be good enough for treatment. 35deg i think way too high. :hex1:

im far from any expert , but 32 degrees has been enough for me to get a fish to eat :) :cooki:

stanchung
International user

Post by stanchung » 07 Dec 2007, 21:14

I've boiled discus before so I'm also wary about heating.

In cold countries, I'm sure there's pressure of cool air from environment on the glass panels. If the heater is set to very warm, in theory the fish can stay near the glass.

In warm countries like mine and mandisc's, there's no way to go except jump! :crasy:

I prefer to keep my adults at 26-28ºC. heating to about 30ºC thereabouts for treatment.
stan
http://www.discus.com.my > timbalan administrasi dxk :D

Dougall Stewart
International user

Post by Dougall Stewart » 28 Feb 2008, 02:23

If heat is being used to stimulate appetite . . . is it reall necessary?

If it is being used to treat for disease I should not ignore the effects of heat stress on an already sick fish.

I am sure it has its place amongst many methods of treatments but I certainly dont believe it is the be all and end all of cures.

On a personal level I have seen fish die at 16C & 37C - I have also seen fish coping with those extremes.

27-30C makes sense to me.
All the best Dougall

Matte_g

Post by Matte_g » 04 Mar 2008, 19:08

Dougall Stewart wrote:If heat is being used to stimulate appetite . . . is it reall necessary?

If it is being used to treat for disease I should not ignore the effects of heat stress on an already sick fish.

I am sure it has its place amongst many methods of treatments but I certainly dont believe it is the be all and end all of cures.

On a personal level I have seen fish die at 16C & 37C - I have also seen fish coping with those extremes.

27-30C makes sense to me.

I agree i think the heat is an old treatment used here and many more places because of the lack of knowledge of the real problem!

Dougall Stewart
International user

Post by Dougall Stewart » 06 Mar 2008, 01:54

I wouldnt deny it has its place but I feel the complexities of it are little understood. Hence it can do more harm than good in some circumstances.
All the best Dougall

Andrew Soh
International user

Post by Andrew Soh » 06 Mar 2008, 13:59

In a normally healthy discus, raising the temperature can indeed induce appetite to a certain degree...but of course water quality helps too.

But when a discus is sick, it means that it is infected and infested by parasites ....and can be endo or ecto (internal and external)..and definitely we cannot ignore the fact that even the gill filaments can be choked with parasites and that is why sick discus generally breath faster or more and bigger gill movements.

Raising the temperature means depleting the water of air-absorbing efficiency because the water-surface will be covered by steam or evaporation thus the surface current will find it hard to absorb oxygen.

Therefore, the more discus in a treatment tank with high temperature, the more stressed they will be...and may lead to suffocation and death.

Take care,
Andrew :hura3:
'Discus, Problems and Solutions'
'Discus, The Naked Truth'
thruststhatlast
Author
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... p?ref=home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Disease/Sickness and Medication”