Where to get Pangea 3D Backgrounds from?

Discus questions, comments, and experiences that do not fit to the specific categories below.
Dan S
International user

Re: Where to get Pangea 3D Backgrounds from?

Post by Dan S » 23 Jan 2010, 01:02

Hello Poddan,

Yes that was my thoughts exactly that it seems a waste not to use the space, but after your sponges have been sat there for a year and you try to remove them you can never get all the dirt/debris and fish waste out of that section because of the bracing on the tank. Well thats what I understand the problem to be anyway?

As fo rusing media in bags, doesnt water take the path of least resistance so wont it just go around media in bags?

I was thinking about a different idea, and that was to use floating media, maybe Bio balls behind the background (maybe fill about 25% of the space with them), hopefully the dirt would sink to the bottom so it could be syphoned out and the floating bio balls would be at the top acting as a biological filter. A small pump could be used to push dirt to one end to make syphoning it out easier. Just an idea at this stage?

Dan
http://www.youtube.com/user/dans2727" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Poddan

Post by Poddan » 23 Jan 2010, 01:13

You are correct.
But is more a question about packing the bags i that space?

Think I have seen some people that inserted sponge filters in that space as the only media, but some filter should be in the intake, and it should be easy to clean.
:-)
[ http://www.ndss.se" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ] [ http://www.l-mal.se" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ] [ http://www.heckel.se" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ]

Dan S
International user

Post by Dan S » 23 Jan 2010, 01:39

Hello Poddan,

You are probably right about packing them poperly, but then is there any advantage doing that over long strips of sponge for example?

Using fine floss at the intake should help I would have thought as it would trap alot of dirt which could be changed on a regular basis to protect the sponge or the media bags behind it.

I have very little experience with this as this is my first background of this type, but the background I have is much flatter than Ouscazz's Amazonas background, so Im thinking if I chose to I will only have enough space to hide Eheim pipes and heaters behind mine (approx 2") so I will not be wasting that much space, the other plus side to this is that the fish will have more swimming space/territory on the otherside.

Dan
http://www.youtube.com/user/dans2727" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TWR
International user

Post by TWR » 02 Feb 2010, 05:05

Ouscazz wrote:You have to choose Loricariidae wisely. No Panaques or other wood eaters!
Hi Dan, hope you don't mind me asking this Q in your thread :blush3:

I may have made a mistake re my plec choice, after reading what Ouscazz says. I have peppermint BN pleco, either L176 http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/sp ... ies_id=189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or
L071 http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/sp ... es_id=1249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't know how to tell which of the 2 types I have :confus1: The breeder says they are vegetarian, but that they need wood in their tank too. Does that make them unsuitable for a tank with a 3D background?
Dan S wrote:but the background I have is much flatter than Ouscazz's Amazonas background, so Im thinking if I chose to I will only have enough space to hide Eheim pipes and heaters behind mine (approx 2") so I will not be wasting that much space, the other plus side to this is that the fish will have more swimming space/territory on the otherside. Dan
I think I asked you this before, elsewhere, so sorry if I have done so :blush3: but I thought you said your mudbank protudes further out into the tank than that. It doesn't sound like it wastes anywhere near as much space as I'd thought. In choosing my next background, that's important - I'm stuck with the tank I have - it's only 24" wide.

Dan S
International user

Post by Dan S » 02 Feb 2010, 17:26

Hello Robyn,

No not at all, ask away, it wil help me work out other types of plecs that are suitable which is great. However, Ancistris as I understand it are fine with backgrounds. Im sure there are people on here with lots of experience with this who might comment.

As for my Background (sorry didnt mean to cause confusion), approx, widest part 8", narrowest part 1", average I would say is about 3" - 4". So add that to the gap behind it for filter pipes, heaters and pumps etc, Im thinking betwen 2 and 4" depending on which filtration route I go then that should give you an idea of how much space will be lost. I have to say Im glad its going into a 3' wide tank but I would use it in a 2' wide tank but I would have the smallest gap behind it possible, probably about 2" Once I get the tank sorted and background fitted I will take a side on pic so you can see how much space is used.
I cant attach mine to the back of the tank like a slim line so you will lose more space. On the various websites like BTN they do say how wide a tank you need, so for example the BTN Amazonas in the smaller sizes says it needs a tank of atleast 35cm wide so that would suggest its quite flat.
Ouscazz hopefully maybe able to comment on his Aquaterra Amazona background and how much space that takes up, it looks amazing but from what I understand the widest point almost touches the front of a 2'wide tank?

Hope I havent confused you further there.

Dan

Ouscazz

Post by Ouscazz » 02 Feb 2010, 20:29

Dan S wrote:
Ouscazz hopefully maybe able to comment on his Aquaterra Amazona background and how much space that takes up, it looks amazing but from what I understand the widest point almost touches the front of a 2'wide tank?
The Aquaterra Amazona takes less space than the BTN Amazonas. It fits ok in a TRADITIONAL 2' - 720L tank. Ideal would be a 2' 4" 840L or a 2' 8" 960L tank.

This image is from when I installed the back piece.

///Mats

Jag har väldigt enkel smak, bara det bästa duger.

Fotoalbum
Videokanal

TWR
International user

Post by TWR » 03 Feb 2010, 12:08

thanks Dan - so even though my peppermint BN plec is said to need wood, it's still ok with the backgrounds - good to know.
Ouscazz wrote: The Aquaterra Amazona takes less space than the BTN Amazonas. It fits ok in a TRADITIONAL 2' - 720L tank. Ideal would be a 2' 4" 840L or a 2' 8" 960L tank.
Thanks so much for posting your picture. It looks fantastic, Ouscazz. My tank is only 24" high x 24" wide x 36" long. It holds 339L, nowhere near the 840L or 960L you mention above - not even the 720L you quote as being for a traditional 2ft tank. What are the other dimensions of a traditional 2ft tank that hold 720L.

Given my smaller tank size, should I give the Aquaterra Amazona background a miss?

Ouscazz

Post by Ouscazz » 03 Feb 2010, 12:25

A traditional 720L measures 80"x24"x24" (200x60x60 cm).
I had to really squeeze, tweak and bend the Amazon to fit my 720L so a 339L is unfortunatly completely out of the question.
///Mats

Jag har väldigt enkel smak, bara det bästa duger.

Fotoalbum
Videokanal

Dan S
International user

Post by Dan S » 03 Feb 2010, 20:21

Hello,

Interesting Photo Ouscazz, that doesnt appear to take up nearly as much room as I might have thought.

Robyn, Although its not in a tank yet, he is a pic of mine on the cabinet, the cabinet is for a 6' x 3' wide tank. It gives you an idea of the space it takes up.
My understanding (Im no expert so others may correct this) is that Bristlenose dont eat wood like a Panaque (Royal Plec) which has rows of chisel like teeth, instead they eat the film on the surface of the wood that has lots of bugs, algae and detritous in it. But I have no experience with either of the Plecs you listed.

Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TWR
International user

Post by TWR » 04 Feb 2010, 10:24

Thanks Ouscazz & Dan for advice.

Both of your backgrounds look great.

Return to “General Discus Discussion”