World Discus Congress 2015

Discus questions, comments, and experiences that do not fit to the specific categories below.
yann
International user

World Discus Congress 2015

Post by yann » 06 Dec 2015, 00:09

Hello! :hello3:

I wanted to share with you my last debriefing dedicated to the World Discus Congress 2015.

4 big topics were debated during some hours and i propose you to discover this and my humble point of view.

You are also organising shows in the "Nordic Europe" area... All constructive comments are welcomed!

http://www.fanatik-discus.com/2015/12/l ... -naq-2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yann :hello2:
my website http://fanatik-discus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kaj.p
.Admin.
.Admin.

Re: World Discus Congress 2015

Post by kaj.p » 06 Dec 2015, 08:23

Thanks for your input Yann :) I was also invited but as soon as I understod that there were no wildclass in the competition I lost intresst.
I can also se that many of the questions about wilds are obviuos. Inmany countrys as Germany ans Sweden u must have sand in the tanks u also must have a Place for the fish to hide according to animal welfair laws.
And special water for wild we already do that to In many show the wild fish water are preparied with RO water.
F1, F2 etc noone can se this for sure. And i what generations does a F-number fish get domestic?
And of course some wild exporters have econmic intresst in Selling wild fish but how can that affect the juding? In my mind thats a bigger problem with the domestic strains. The same fish from the same proffesional breeders are taken most af the prizes and Trophys in show after show.

yann
International user

Post by yann » 06 Dec 2015, 12:22

Hello Kaj,

Thanks for your point of view. I appreciate a lot as i know in north of Europe you really enjoy wild discus. :tumme2:
"I was also invited but as soon as I understod that there were no wildclass in the competition I lost intresst."
I underderstand this... But i think all point of view (constructive of course) is important to hear. It is when we are all on a table that we can evolve the discussions and the situation. (That is also why i would like to publish your comment on my website).
"I can also se that many of the questions about wilds are obviuos. Inmany countrys as Germany ans Sweden u must have sand in the tanks u also must have a Place for the fish to hide according to animal welfair laws.
And special water for wild we already do that to In many show the wild fish water are preparied with RO water."
I know that your laws changed for the aquarium lay out, but it is not the case in the rest of Europe (or the world?). And you, who have known the both situation, did you notice a better well being for discus with sand and "decoration" in aquariums? That would also be good to hear.
Also, for water, i remember a discussion with Hudson Crizanto saying that the water quality was the same for all kind of discus.
You use different kind of water quality in your show for hybrids and wilds??? (In my article i meant that i thought water quality was the same for all kind of discus, with of course all with RO water... but wilds could have more soft water than hybrids)
"F1, F2 etc noone can se this for sure. And i what generations does a F-number fish get domestic? "
100% agree!!! so... what is your opinion about it?
And of course some wild exporters have econmic intresst in Selling wild fish but how can that affect the judging? In my mind thats a bigger problem with the domestic strains. The same fish from the same proffesional breeders are taken most af the prizes and Trophys in show after show.
This can affect the standard if we want to create one... (same for hybrid discus!)
I also notice the lost of interest because many trophee are won by same breeders... But they didn't deserve it?
For me, we have to reflect about it... if not... competition will loose again and again interest of the hobbyist.
Firstof all, we have to make the categorisation clear, judgment clear etc... That is also why i do some propositions in this way.

Just, what i think is.... it is not in oppose persons that we will make our hobby better... not in saying that others didn't understood anything in discus that we will give envie to hobbyist to join each others... with... :respect: we should do better.

Yann :hello2:
my website http://fanatik-discus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kaj.p
.Admin.
.Admin.

Post by kaj.p » 06 Dec 2015, 14:03

I agree with most of your toughts Yann. ANd its allways good with discusions.
Here are som more comments and i also hope that some more people will join and make some more inputs in this thread.

-Yes I beleve that wild fish feels safer in a tank with sand/gravel Most domestic fish are used to be exposed on a completly diffrent level.

-Wild fish needs longer time to acclimitize Schould be judged later especially those who travel far.

- Yes we use tapwater för the domestic fish and soft Ro water for the wilds.

- We also ad some extra judges in the wild class. Judges with good knowlege of wild fish.

-My personal opinon about the wild classes are that they would be judged after there species Not like domestic after what they look like.

-F1 F2 and so on must be in a wildbreed class if there are one otherwise I Think they shoud be in the domestic classes.

In my personal opinion there are a huge lack of wildbreed fish today and many domestic strains are today a mishmash of genes, you nerver know what the outcomes from a good pair will be. This is no good we need new strains with wild genes.

I also beleve that a huge problem are that hobbyist breed fish in shows are getting fewer and fewer This is not good for the hobby in the future. There must be space for bouth Commercial breeders/ exporters and hobbyists to show there fish. :tumme2:

Return to “General Discus Discussion”