Infection(s)

Andrew Soh
International user

Infection(s)

Post by Andrew Soh » 01 Dec 2007, 02:23

Hi guys...let me start the ball rolling in this section... ;)

What is the worse infection(s) a discus could encounter? Any effect and side effect?

Andrew Soh
'Discus, Problems and Solutions'
'Discus, The Naked Truth'
thruststhatlast
Author
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... p?ref=home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tommy
NDS Member
NDS Member

Re: Infection(s)

Post by Tommy » 01 Dec 2007, 03:18

Her is one more picture. This fish I have for 1 years ago, it only take 2 days for the fish to get totaly Black, unfortunately the fish die.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:guru: :guru: :guru:

Strixxx

Post by Strixxx » 01 Dec 2007, 03:58

Most infections thats not cured .... i mean worst happening is the fish stop growing,
At least in my book... i mean most diseases can be cured but many of the cases the fish stop in growth.

Thats my worst scenario, and unfortunated that is the case in many deceases. (spelling probbs)
(side effect wise this is)
"No bullshit here"

Conny Nilsson

Andrew Soh
International user

Post by Andrew Soh » 01 Dec 2007, 05:15

Woww...that is black enough....hard time curing it..ya? Looks like the same darkness they claim are black wild discus found in the Brazil river...but those can comsume food...

Andrew
thruststhatlast
Author
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... p?ref=home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matte_g

Post by Matte_g » 02 Dec 2007, 01:16

Andrew Soh wrote:Woww...that is black enough....hard time curing it..ya? Looks like the same darkness they claim are black wild discus found in the Brazil river...but those can comsume food...

Andrew

If i remember right you told me a story in Duisburg about a virus, when no veterinarian could find a cure. But that's when you "made" Pro More and Pro Growth and that recipe was the thing that saved the fish.
So my guess a virus infection!

Andrew Soh
International user

Post by Andrew Soh » 02 Dec 2007, 10:31

Yes, Matt_g,

It is true that the product Pro-more was created for the purpose of eliminating the virus. I am the first to eliminate a virus without a vaccine but using immune-booster...Pro-more.

Unfortunately......I am always creating new strains :guld: , new methods to treat fishes and trouble-shooting problems that others deem too difficult to handle :guld: .. ........and finally....end of the day :stickh: ....I am still that "Unsang Hero of the Aquatic world".....Hmmm... :dontknow: :3adv:

Take care,
Andrew :guru:
thruststhatlast
Author

Annie

Post by Annie » 02 Dec 2007, 10:39

Now i will try to present one of my discus.. I keep him as a Red Tomato.. He got stressbars on his body but soon he became black over the hole body.. He had look like this for over a year but he is still growing, eating and so.. But I wonder why he is black.. I will try to put in a picture... Is it an interinal infection or..
Mvh
Annika Ljungberg
http://blogg.annikashemsida.se/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stanchung
International user

Post by stanchung » 04 Dec 2007, 19:02

Hi Andrew,
You can see it's got an internal infection, it doesn't eat, prazi and metro, epsom salt doesn't work, it gets skinnier and skinnier... and then- the end. Heartbreaking.

Outwardly it has no symptoms except for some transparent white faeces and slightly clamped fins and keep facing behind.

I've had wild fishes do this. Now I have an APD that's doing the same. Any advice you can give me? I'm willing to try anything like injecting into the abdomen antibiotics...
stan
http://www.discus.com.my > timbalan administrasi dxk :D

Andrew Soh
International user

Post by Andrew Soh » 05 Dec 2007, 04:59

Hi Stan and all concerned with disease problems.

Treatment of internal infection or eliminating endoparasites is a long story....but will try to make it short. :censur1:

In treatment, we should start from the external....and one treatment that should be able to eliminate all is either Potassium permaganate or Hydrogen Peroxide. When used separately, they have quite similar action but when mixed together, Hydrogen Peroxide neutralises PP :guld: .

PP or HP will eliminate 99% of living organisms in the water and that includes the ectoparasites on the external surface of the fish....whether they are bacteria or protozoan or micro-worms. But what is underneath the scale (hiding between the scales and the epidermis)....we need periodic treatment to lower down the count....very hard to eliminate all.

Having done 3 to 4 times of PP or HP treatment within a week and if we still find that the discus is dull...or dark....or colour-tone switching from light to dark and to light and then to dark again.......or that slimy white patches on the body is still around....it might be endoparasite at work......and for the first...could be endoparasites in the gut or bloodstream or other organs inside the body and for the last...the slimy patches....could be infection on the epidermis layer if PP treatment had already be done.

In other words, if the patches goes off after PP or HP treatment...it simply means the excessive slime production was caused by irritation from ectoparasite.
If the patches stay, it is probably irritation of the epidermis caused by endoparasite...likely bacteria in the epidermis layer....

Now, after the PP pr HP tretment, the problem still presist.....there is nothing much we can do except to de-flegallete the fish and addition of antibiotics. So the choice is metronidazole and fucin (or other broad spectrum antibiotics) and soak in water and add in feed for the next 12 days.

Tha is the best you could do. We should not use any drugs that is effective against worms at large or vaccine against virus. This is because worms...like nematodes (round worms), flatworms and the rest are not truely parasitic. Even if there are round worms and flatworms (tapeworm).....the discus will still eat and thrive.....and only when the there are unaccountable amount in the gut ...that they will cause contipation and discus will die within a few days with a swallow belly (But remember that not all swallon belly is due to this).

If the discus doesn't eat....for a long period (for months)...slowly starving to death, it is definitely an endoparasite infection....and could be any part or organ within....depending on what you have fed them for the past months. Could it be worms...frozen bloodworms....toxic colour-enhancer......? :stickh:

Or could the cause be innoculated into your tanks with the introduction of new discus from other sources that may be infectious? :stickh:

Take care,
Andrew :guru:
thruststhatlast
Author

yoyo

Post by yoyo » 06 Dec 2007, 01:40

Can you cure a fish that hasent eat for mounts?

Return to “Ask Andrew Soh”