Stronger "strains" and BD discussions

Andrew Soh
International user

Re: Stronger "strains"

Post by Andrew Soh » 02 Jun 2008, 03:16

Here are some more pictures of Blue Diamonds.

Those ealier have nice shap but poor iris coloration. Those that have very cherry red iris have poor shape. So it really depends on how the BD was crossed with....and all the Barless Full Blue came from one mutation.

Enjoy...... :hura3: :hura3: :hura3:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'Discus, Problems and Solutions'
'Discus, The Naked Truth'
thruststhatlast
Author
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... p?ref=home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dizkuz

Re: Stronger "strains"

Post by Dizkuz » 02 Jun 2008, 08:16

Thanks for sharing Andrew...

where the first BD mutation a red or yellow eye? or did the yellow eye come from a result of cross for better up the shape on BD?
I always thought there where just only one mutations of solid blue...(Hong-Kong story) but had to ask, maybe i have been missing a huge part of discus history, the information between the different solid blue made me confused and didnt ad up for me from the book,,, thats all :blush3:

Take care
Brgds Danne
No end to Karma, so we should be very careful about our actions
Poff!

Andrew Soh
International user

Re: Stronger "strains" and BD discussions

Post by Andrew Soh » 02 Jun 2008, 08:59

Yes,

You are right. There is only one mutation of solid blue....and is not Cobalt but solid blue barless discus.....but I believe came from the same ancestor...and it so happened came out around the same time and sponteneously in different parts of the world.

In fact, they are close relatives of the ghost discus/brilliant discus.

The first BD was with partially red Iris though not full solid red. The different crossing out eliminated many nof the red iris....while resurfacing inothers. My Pelmut discus mutation.....Brilliant full cloured barless discus were born with red iris.

Andrew :hura3:
thruststhatlast
Author
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... p?ref=home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andrew Soh
International user

Post by Andrew Soh » 02 Jun 2008, 09:12

Ocean green was born a few years after the popularity of Blue diamond was on the decline....in 1995.

When Blue diamond came out in 1990 (around).....the only full colour before this was Cobalt which is a nine bar full coloured discus....and Blue Diamond is not a derivative of Cobalt....no...no....not as though from a full colour came offspring of full colour..but now minus the bars and the face colour closes up... :garv: :garv: :garv: :garv: that is layman's way of simple thought and talk....ha!ha!ha!...a frog in a well :blush3: :blush3: :blush3: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Blue Diamond(barless :2tubsup: ) is a sponteneous mutation from the Brilliant which happens to be a close relative of the ghost discus...which is also barless. :2tubsup: . The mutation-link characteristic comes with masked blue face...happened in B.D. and also the same with the first generation of Ghost and Pelmut discus.

Don't listen to those bullshits about Blue diamond being coming out sponteneously from Cobalt. They know not what they are talking :blush3: and definitely don't know genetics. :garv: :garv: :garv: ....maybe salesman talk???? :confus1: :blush3: :blush3: :garv:

Take care

thruststhatlast
Author

Matte_g

Post by Matte_g » 02 Jun 2008, 22:31

Wery nice shape on the BD`s Andrew :2tubsup:

When we are talking about stressbars and more i read in Asian discus 2 that you can get rid of stressbars using artificial ligth is that right??

Andrew Soh
International user

Post by Andrew Soh » 03 Jun 2008, 02:37

When we are talking about stressbars and more i read in Asian discus 2 that you can get rid of stressbars using artificial ligth is that right??
:garv: :garv: :garv: never tried....never know :garv: :garv: :garv:

Whch light using electricity is natural? All are artificial :garv: :garv: :garv:

I think what Johnny is trying to say is that "If the stressbars keep on appearing, you can use 24 hours bright light....so when the discus get used to it, they become less stressed and the black bars will go away". Here the "go away or get rid" means "disappearing or not expressed" and doesn't mean genetically changed or anatomically changed. It must be a joke if t can.... :garv: :garv: :garv:

So....you stand under the light too long and become an Indian? :garv: :garv: :garv:

Take care,
thruststhatlast
Author

stanchung
International user

Post by stanchung » 13 Jun 2008, 21:31

Very interesting discussion.
Andrew, cobalt discus is from? .... :hello2: A bit blur already. :garv:

Can you please write another book and make a discus genetic tree as best you can? Natural one of course. No alien crossings... :garv:
stan
http://www.discus.com.my > timbalan administrasi dxk :D

Dougall Stewart
International user

Post by Dougall Stewart » 13 Jun 2008, 23:42

Hi Andrew

Are you saying that blue diamonds are from true genetic mutation as opposed a manipulation of genes/combinations expressed?

p.s. Researchers have show how light can stress fish out too. I guess there is some happy medium lol
All the best Dougall

Andrew Soh
International user

Post by Andrew Soh » 14 Jun 2008, 03:30

Yes Stan,

I am writing another book.... :shys:
Are you saying that blue diamonds are from true genetic mutation as opposed a manipulation of genes/combinations expressed?
Yes Dougall.....Blue diamond is a mutation. :2tubsup: and is not through manipulation or cross-breeding.

Cobalt on the other hand is through manipulation....or the more appropriate word is "Selective breeding"....and is NOT a mutant.

IN the initial F1 of the BD, it has no relationship at all with Cobalt and no genetic link. Blue diamond sponteneously mutated from the Brilliants.

But in the later stage, in the cross-breeding and selective-breeding program did breeders use Cobalt as one of the materials to improve the intensity of the blue or make it greener like the ocean green and so on....perfecting especially in the belly area of the BD which were originally light and imperfect ....and also for improvement of other phenotypic expression.

Take care,
Andrew
thruststhatlast
Author

Janne Josefsson

Post by Janne Josefsson » 14 Jun 2008, 21:13

Hi Andrew!!

Do you now the difference between BD and Blue Cover, i have only seen Blue Cover on picture, not irl, but i cant see any differences. Can you explain the difference or is it just a fantasy name on BD??

Brgds
Janne

Return to “Ask Andrew Soh”